Monday, August 13, 2012

I'm injured - now what?!

There was a time when I would have given up exercising and eating properly if everything wasn't perfect.  If I went over my calorie allotment for the day (or in the days of Weight Watchers - my points) I just went hog wild and ate whatever I wanted.  If I was injured, I figured I must not be athletic and quit.

Not anymore, and I've been through my fair share of injuries in the past several months.  So, I figured, I'd share what I've learned along the way about pain, injuries and how to keep going. 

First, I don't believe in the "No pain, no gain" theory.  If you're hurt, stop that particular exercise.  But, maybe the word "pain" should be defined, because I know when I'm working my muscles it's not like a slow stroll through the park - it's work!  Pain is caused by an injury, discomfort from working your muscles is not pain.


Yes, my muscles burn!  I work hard and my muscles sometimes feel fatigued, but if I feel even a hint of pain - like joint pain, or a muscle strain, I stop immediately!  And so should you.  Continuing to do an activity that is causing injury will only make things worse. 

But then what?  Try a different activity, that's what!  I first tried the Couch 2 5K program in November.  The first run out, I injured my knee and I only jogged 30 seconds!  Clearly, I wasn't ready.  It was discouraging and I thought I may never run.  But, I joined a gym and started with using the elliptical.  That didn't hurt my knee.  I was building up my cardiovascular system and getting stronger without injuring myself.  I found something that worked for me.

For another person, it may be just going for a walk, at whatever speed works.  At the gym, there was a woman, probably in her 70's, who clearly had osteoporosis.  Her body was hunched over and her spine was twisted.  She couldn't go probably faster than a slow walk on the treadmill, but she was there every day.  Maybe riding a bike works better, or even swimming or water aerobics.  There are so many choices for low impact exercising, that there is something out there for everyone.

I have my heart set on running a 5K.  The Couch 2 5K program is a 10 week program, which I started in November.  It's August and now in the last couple of weeks I finally finished the program.  I will be running a 5K.  It took a lot longer than I thought and  I may not be the fastest runner, but I will be running.  I'm here because I didn't give up. 

Set aside a time for exercising - keep the routine, even if all you can manage that day is stretching.  It's not about perfection, it's about consistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment