Thursday, August 9, 2012

Every little bit counts!

I haven't posted anything in a long time, although those of you who read my prolific status updates know that I have been doing weight training and the Couch 2 5K program for the past 5 months.

I thought I'd share some of the things I've learned along the way - and show you pictures.  I still struggle to accept that I have changed, both body and mind.  It's only when I see the pictures that I see how far I've come.  They are progress pictures, not "after" because it is a lifelong process.  And my life isn't over yet as far as I know!

So, things I've learned.

1.  It is not a competition.  Just because your best friend can run 5 miles or lift 25 lbs doing bicep curls doesn't mean you have to.  It's about improving yourself.  Yesterday, I held a full plank for 2 minutes!  6 months ago, I couldn't even hold it for 30 seconds.  But, if I would have beat myself up over the fact that my own husband could hold it a minute and given up, I wouldn't be able to hold a plank pose for 2 minutes today!

2.  Love yourself.  No one's body is perfect, not even the best athletes in the world would say their body is perfect.  Hating yourself only makes you want to beat yourself up and punish yourself.  I did it by giving up and eating whatever I wanted or once I started exercising, by pushing myself so hard I injured myself. 

Accepting yourself and your limitations means that you can do what's best for you!  And accept that you are OK the way you are.  Sounds counter-intuitive, but really, it's not.  You accept your limitations and understand that you can't run 5 miles, so you walk, or ride a bike or even stroll, but you move your body to the best of your ability.  And those little things add up to much bigger things later on! 

3.  Count calories, log your food! Exercising isn't enough if you don't change your eating habits.  In college, I went to the gym 5 days a week, but I kept drinking sodas, kept eating lots of junk food and guess what - I didn't lose any weight! 

People OVERestimate the amount of calories they burn while exercising and UNDERestimate the amount of calories they eat.  So, put that together and you're working hard for nothing!

4.  Be consistant.  Even if you're injured and can't do your normal routine, do something.  When my foot or knee was injured and I couldn't jog, I'd go for a very slow walk.  If I couldn't walk, I'd stretch and do what I could with what my body was telling me was OK.  Don't let injury side track you.  Set the time and stick to it. 

Mornings are usually best.  There's less that could get in the way, especially if you have children.  The car could break down, someone could throw up, hurt themselves and have to go the ER, thunderstorms could pop up to keep you from going on your walk... anything.  But, regardless, find a time and stick to it.  If it can't be the full time, then do a shortened time, but don't give up that time for yourself.  It's easy to get out of a habit, and much harder to get back into a habit - especially a good one.


So that's all for today.  I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.  I think of all these things while I am jogging or lifting weights.  Every day is a surprise for me - at how much I'm changing and I am so grateful to the Lord for the blessings he's given me, including a healthier body.

So, now for the pictures!
                                              This was me in college at my highest weight.











Then, there's me in May of 2011.










                                                       And, today after my 3 mile jog!

So, I can honestly say, I've been there and if I can change, anyone can!!

1 comment:

  1. You look beautiful then as you look beautiful now. The weight loss, though, amazing. It really shows that you've worked hard. Great thoughts above.

    ReplyDelete