Saturday, February 26, 2011

Candle Making - Part 1

My oldest son, Isaac, decided he really wanted to try making candles out of old crayons.  This idea came to him after we melted crayons in a pan and made a beautiful collage and after a power outage when we used a lot of random candles.  So, we are on a mission - how to make our own candles using what we have in the house.

I have found this eHow link on how to make our own wicks.  All we need to have is string (which we have old string in abundance), table salt, borax and wax.  Now, thankfully, I have granulated beeswax in the house from the time I decided to make my own lip balm.  And, Jewel sells borax!  Now, that's not in our house at the moment, but hey - it's cheaper than the $20 candle molds at the craft stores!

For the candle molds - we will try the mounting supply of recycled snack pack cups I've been collecting.  We will have to make sure they won't melt though!  I'll get back to you on that one.  This eHow site gives ideas on what to do for a candle mold.  If the snack pack cups don't work, we'll probably use the canning jars we have.  But, I'd rather not.  I actually want to use them for canning.

I have read that it's possible to buy bags at the craft store to boil the crayons or wax in so that it's easy to pour into the mold.  I don't want to spend money (or at least as little as possible) so we're going to try using the canning jars instead.  This is definitely an experiment.  I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Oh, and I forgot to mention - having the kids peel all the broken crayons keeps them busy for quite a while.  So, definitely something to do on a cloudy, bad weather day!

No comments:

Post a Comment